Motion Designer – Apprenticeship (Philadelphia)
Bluecadet is seeking a motion designer for a six-month paid apprenticeship with our collaborative, multi-disciplinary team in Philadelphia. Bluecadet apprentices are mentored by award-winning designers and given the opportunity to work with highly-regarded mission-driven institutions — from The Smithsonian to NASA.
As a design apprentice at Bluecadet, you will actively contribute to the creation of memorable digital products, such as immersive interactive installations, storytelling apps, and high-profile websites.
As a motion designer, your specific responsibilities may include:
- Creating motion studies for interactive installations, apps, and sites
- Concepting narrative-driven motion experiences from storyboards to completion
- Helping to craft intuitive user flows and user experiences
- Assisting in creating new and groundbreaking animation techniques as each new project offers unique and exciting opportunities
The majority of our full-time design team started with Bluecadet as apprentices, so this could be the start of a long-lasting collaboration.
- Excellence in 2D animation (After Effects), compositing, and/or 3D
- Well-versed in digital design software including Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects
- Well-trained in design & visual communications principles (composition, typography, branding, image making)
- Humble, nice, and hard-working
- Compelled by interactive design and passionate about a career in the industry
- Driven to understand solid interactive design principles and willing to break the “rules” and push boundaries
- Interested in working closely with development and production teams
- Serious in desire to produce cutting-edge creative digital work
- Deeply passionate about visual problem solving
- Bachelor’s degree in design or another relevant field
- Bonus: Intermediate 3D experience in Cinema 4D, Maya, Rhino, and/or 3ds Max.
- Bonus: Skills in fluid, smoke and/or other particle simulations; character creation & animation; visual effects and photo-realistic detail; real-time generation or OpenGL programming
- Submit a portfolio, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Motion Design Apprentice”
- Please Note: Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we aren’t able to give status updates via phone or email, but if you are invited for an interview, we will contact you directly
Bluecadet is an experience and digital design agency that provides strategy, innovation, and transformative products and environments. Established in 2007, Bluecadet collaborates with many of the world’s leading museums, cultural institutions, universities, advocacy and nonprofit organizations to educate, engage, and entertain. Our interdisciplinary team of nearly 50 strategists, designers, researchers, and technologists — based in Philadelphia and New York City — has produced world-class websites, mobile apps, interactive installations, and immersive environments. Bluecadet is frequently recognized with top industry awards including an Emmy and top honors from the Webby Awards, Apple (Editor’s Pick), the FWA, and SXSW Awards.