Brad Baer to Keynote AIA Iowa Spring Conference on April 21
Our Director of Strategy, Brad Baer, will be the keynote speaker at this year’s AIA Iowa Spring Conference on April 21 in Ames, Iowa. In addition to his talk he’ll be conducting a workshop discussing “Expanding into entrepreneurship” with Dominque Davidson, AIA of DRAW Architecture + Urban Design.
Keynote: Experiential Master Planning and the Integration of Digital Experiences into the Built Environment
In this session attendees will be introduced to the concept of the experiential master plan: a plan that includes road-mapping not only the physical environment but also integrated digital experiences. Examples include websites, applications, digital signage & wayfinding, interactive kiosks & walls, and the post-visit experience. We’ll look into case studies for various museums, universities, and cultural institutions including Digital Orientation Stations at the Field Museum in Chicago, a web-based tour at the Hoover Mason Trestle, a location-based application for the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum, and Dynamic signage for the Mann Center for Performing arts. We’ll also discuss the skill-set required to work as an architect in the field of digital media.
By attending this keynote address participants will be able to:
- Argue the concept of an experiential master plan and how considering a master plan can lead to a better, safer, more usable building
- Discover how websites, apps, touchscreens, and interactive environments can be integrated into the built environment to improve the overall experience for a diverse audience and lead to safer and more sustainable navigation and interaction
- Discuss how to interface with digital agencies and evaluate the tools necessary for success
- Understand how to measure the return on investment (ROI) and key performance indicators (KPI) of a successful digital experience
- Break down how digital media can assist in how digital media can be used to support visitors who are blind, deaf, are socially-impaired