The Head of People Operations at Bluecadet is a hands-on role promoting and cultivating studio culture, driving talent and performance management improvements, and actively participating in inclusion and diversity initiatives. The position will lead critical change initiatives and will directly manage one report who owns and manages most HR processes and tools. Ability to work cross-functionally, understand the pulse of the organization and influence at all levels is important.
Top 3-4 things this person will accomplish in their first year:
- Complete a People Ops evaluation across the company, assessing current processes, including employee engagement, performance/talent management, studio culture, and equity and inclusion, and suggesting areas for improvement and focus.
- Work with Bluecadet leadership and Change Team to create a framework for Equity and Inclusion initiatives and identify key areas for improvement and change for 2021.
- A primary role in the transition to hybrid (remote+in-person) working model for Bluecadet during 2021; including revisions to policies and procedures and recommendations for supporting studio culture
- Develop and implement training program for manager-level employees at Bluecadet
- Lead, Manage and Hold Accountable: Provide coaching, guidance and career development to direct reports (currently one direct report). Motivate and engage team members.
- Studio Culture: Demonstrated leadership is required in terms of both people and behavior leadership, setting the example for others to follow. Work with Bluecadet leadership and discipline leaders across the company to shape our culture. Embed and promote Bluecadet’s Core Values while helping to build motivation and affiliation.
- Equity & Inclusion: Work with Bluecadet leadership to create a framework for Equity and Inclusion initiatives. Recommend ways to incorporate inclusive and welcoming practices into our core people processes and ways of working.
- Recruiting Strategy: Evaluate talent landscape and develop recruitment, succession and development plans, including strategy for freelance rosters, to ensure a strong bench of talent for key roles, with Bluecadet’s core values and Equity and Inclusion priorities in mind.
- Talent Management and Development: Evaluate and lead performance management practices including job description consistency, professional development and training, management and mentorship, and performance improvement measures. Serve as a subject matter expert and resource for discipline leads to recommend organizational development tools and practices.
- Employee Relations: Coach employees at all levels in the company; bringing concerns to leadership or facilitating discussions with other employees with a mindset toward productive problem-solving.
- Compensation Benchmarking: Research and maintain salary benchmarking data from relevant sources to inform salary adjustments and planning.
Coordinate with Others
- Performance Reviews: Process owned and maintained by Finance, HR + Operations Associate. People Operations Lead to recommend process updates related to promoting overall career growth and addressing the unique needs at each stage of an employee’s career.
- Employee Policies & Procedures: Process owned and maintained by Finance, HR + Operations Associate. Head of People Operations will weigh in on updates to Bluecadet employee handbook and internal communications related to policy and procedure changes.
- People Operations Processes and Tools: Process and tools documentation owned and maintained by Finance, HR + Operations Associate. Head of People Operations will assess current people operations processes and tools and recommend modifications.
- Immigration Management: Largely managed by Finance, HR + Operations Associate, with input from Managing Director and Director of Finance. Head of People Operations will advise on any issues related to overall People Ops considerations including performance reviews, compensation adjustments, titles and job descriptions.
- Employment & Labor Law Compliance: Largely managed by Director of Finance. Head of People Operations will flag any issues and work with others on overlapping concerns, examples include parental leave, workers in other jurisdictions, etc.
- Strong organizational development capabilities and leadership skills
- Experience managing and building trust with differing groups of individuals
- Must understand the talent ecosystem and bring strategies to inform supporting the full employee talent life cycle
- Results oriented and “hands on” approach
- Investment in equity and inclusion as a general principle
- Strong consultative, coaching, communication and influence skills
- 6+ years of Human Resources generalist experience or related business experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise & proven success in People Operations, HR and talent management, including diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
Bluecadet is an award-winning, internationally-recognized experience design agency focused on producing transformative digital products and environments. We work with story and experience-driven organizations and brands. Past clients include Google, MoMA, Harvard, Comcast, Princeton, The Smithsonian Institution, Doctors Without Borders, National Geographic, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Our Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
Bluecadet’s staff represents a wide pool of talent, views, backgrounds, and interests across our disciplines. We believe in Equity and Inclusion as a general principle and look for ways to actively amplify our team’s diverse perspectives in service of the stories and messages we are entrusted to tell.
We also recognize that we must always strive to be better. Over the past six months, we have launched internal DEI programming with a dedicated consultant to inform our business and culture moving forward. Our team continues to identify and address ways of ensuring that our recruiting, training, development, and compensation continue to elevate our team and underrepresented groups.
For 2021, we have prioritized initiatives at all levels of our organization – reflecting on leadership actions and communication, training our managers on equity and inclusion best practices, and for the whole staff, implementing inclusive meeting structures and cross-group learning. We believe that these foundations will help us to continue to attract, grow and support an increasingly diverse team in their careers at Bluecadet and beyond, and to make our creative products even better.