Bluecadet is seeking a motion designer for a six-month paid apprenticeship with our collaborative, multi-disciplinary team in New York. Bluecadet apprentices are mentored by award-winning designers and given the opportunity to work with highly-regarded mission-driven institutions — from The Smithsonian to NASA.
As a design apprentice at Bluecadet, you will actively contribute to the creation of memorable digital products, including immersive interactive installations, storytelling apps, and high-profile websites. Our New York studio operates as a smaller, startup-like environment, allowing for a range of different opportunities for hands-on, collaborative experience.
The majority of our full-time design team started with Bluecadet as apprentices, so this could be the beginning of a long-lasting collaboration.
Responsibilities may include:
- Creating and concepting UI/UX motion studies for interactive installations, apps, and websites
- Concepting narrative-driven motion and film experiences from storyboards through final execution
- Helping to craft intuitive user flows and user experiences
- Assisting in research and concept development for new products, films, and experiences
- Participating in any and all studio activities, such as crafting and guacamole-eating
- Bachelor’s degree in design or another relevant field
- Well-versed in digital design software including Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects
- Excellence in 2D animation and compositing
- Well-trained in design & visual communications principles (composition, typography, branding, image making)
- Humble and hard-working
- Compelled by interactive design and passionate about a career in the industry
- Driven to understand solid interactive design principles, but willing to break the “rules” and push boundaries
- Interested in working closely with development and production teams
- Serious desire to produce cutting-edge creative digital work
- Bonus: 3D experience in Cinema 4D, Maya, Rhino, and/or 3ds Max.
- Bonus: Experience or familiarity with code-driven animation